Friday, January 18, 2008

being broken



This is one of my favorite pictures of myself. Not because it's good. (because honestly, I look quite rough) But it was moments after I experienced a major breakthrough in my life.

I was in Sighisoara, Romania- the summer after my sophomore year of college. I went because I wanted to. But while I was there, I realized that my life is not my own. I am bought with a high price. And God gets to determine how my days are spent.

I've wanted to be a teacher my whole life. Almost literally- since 4th grade. Applied to college w/ a middle grades major and graduated w/ that degree.
But, it was in Sighisoara that I realized that I may not always do that.

God may have other things in store for me.

And Sighisoara was the place that I could go.

Years later, I still have a major heart to serve in other countries- Romania is always close to my heart, but I've also spent time in China and my heart breaks for the country.

People always ask me if I'll be back- and I know I will.

And what's more.
My heart is there now.

3 comments:

lisagh said...

Have you read "Eat. Pray. Love."? I haven't but the way my friend described it to me reminds me of what you've written. I can tell your words are very heartfelt.

Senegal Daily said...

This is awesome, Cami. My college roomie goes to Romania every year (sometimes more than once) and feels the same way.

So how are you following up on it??

McClure ELA 8 said...

lisagh- I've heard I should read that book! I think I will now!

Kari-- I'm financially involved in different people overseas-- and more importantly, it's become a major part of my passion, prayer life, and purpose. I have no doubt that I will be back. I have to trust that it will happen in God's time, not my own. Because I WANT to go right now. But I wait. Because I'm supposed to serve in middle school. And teach them to care about something other than themselves! (miracles never cease...)