Wednesday, April 15, 2009

When is Love Biggest?

I hope you read Stuff Christians Like. Because it's hilarious. And true. And smart. And honest. And Jon Acuff is the man. You should start reading it today if you don't. I'm sure you don't have anything better to do but read hours and hours of blog entries.

Today he's writing about love.
And makes this poignant statement.

An act of love is amplified exponentially when it is given in response to an act of hate.

I've been thinking about it all morning.
This is EXACTLY what Jesus calls us to do. And be. His love for us is amplified times a million because we do so much to hate. It may not be hate in the way we think of it, but it's still hate. Doing exactly the opposite of what someone asks of you is not love- so it's gotta be something else.
I don't really know what else to say. But I think that this has challenged me. And opened my eyes. Not only to see my shortcomings. But also to see the times where God has given me an incredible measure of grace to be able to love people in light of their hate. And even bigger- to see where people have loved me in spite of my hate.

The closing of the SCL entry is this:
Hope is heard loudest when it's a response to hurt.

Comfort is heard loudest when it's a response to pain.

Love is heard loudest when it's a response to hate.

Let's be loud.

No comments: