Monday, January 24, 2011

bitter truths

I saw this on another blog (I can't remember which...), and it made me happy. Because I totally believe it. It's from Lemony Snicket's Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid.

I liked it for a lot of reasons, but mainly because I totally live by this. If I'm going somewhere with unknown or questionable plans, I always have a book. Sometimes I leave it in my car so as not to appear rude, but you can rest assured that I always have a book.

On my birthday this year, we went around the table at dinner and everyone had to say nice things about me (family tradition, don't question it, it's awesome)-- and one of the things my dad said that he liked about me was that I always have books around. Stacks here and there. One upstairs, downstairs, in my bag, in the car.

And it's true. I love books. I love having them. I love reading them. I love looking at them. I love talking about them. Love books.

And in the technological age, I find myself wary of the e-book, but with the new iPad, I decided to try it out. Read two books on my iPad this weekend. Read Sophie Kinsella's Twenties Girl and Beth Orsoff's Romantically Challenged. I enjoyed Twenties Girl as much as I've enjoyed Kinsella's other books- cute, decently written, happy ending, mindless. Romantically Challenged was ok- one of those I wouldn't read again, but don't feel short changed since it only cost $3.

Although e-readers will NEVER replace the comfort of an actual book, I liked it. I think I would love it to travel and such.

2 comments:

Bone said...

I feel kinda sad that books and CDs are slowly being replaced. There's something to be said for having something tangible to hold, to look at, to have stacked on a shelf.

Unknown said...

I am following you because of this. There just AREN'T enough people who read and I too love physical books over electronic ones.

Nice to meet you!