Tuesday, February 16, 2010

coping

Today was my friend Shannon's first day back at work after being out for the past few months. You may remember me writing about him before- last spring, he and his wife lost their baby shortly before their due date.

We raised money as staff so that he could stay out for the remainder of the school year, but he came back at the start of this year.

However, the past few months, he's been out of work. Mainly dealing with some major emotional/depression issues.

And it's gotten me thinking. About my own coping. About how people cope in general.

From when I was a sophomore in high school to my junior year in college, I buried 7 friends. Not like grown up, old people. But friends. People my age. All car accidents. But. It was with the last one in 2001- my friend Jennifer was killed in a head-on collision on her way back to Clemson- and I kinda lost it. I was suddenly unable to cope with my own loss and grief. I ended up leaving my school- and moving back home, started seeing a therapist, and taking anti-depression meds. It was a dark time in my life, but God was good.

But.

Isn't it weird how some people go through one thing and reach that breaking point? And some people go through a series of bad things- and THEN reach that point? And some people seem to never have that point- they're always able to be tough.

Why is that?
What causes it all?
I don't get it.

1 comment:

The Madsens said...

Cami,
God works in crazy ways. I often forget you have a blog, but I've been "surfing" tonight and decided to read your page. I remember the day I found out about Jennifer. It scared me, I was mad, sad, and confused to say the least. My mom lives just a bit south of Clemson and there is not a time I drive up to visit her that I don't think of Jennifer. I often get lost in the what if's, and wondering what and where she would be today.